Thursday, January 24, 2013

Reaction to Lynda Barry Convocation





 

Wow! What a Convocation that was. Most definitely the most entertaining one I have yet to witness here at Lawrence. I absolutely loved Lynda Barry. Prior to her coming to Lawrence I had never heard of her, so before the Convocation today I quickly looked up some of her artwork and was immediately drawn to it. I loved the colors that she uses, the fact that she uses her own unique handwriting, and the storylines that her cartoons portray. My high opinion of Lynda multiplied upon hearing her speak today, for she had a fantastic sense of humor, and her many jokes had me laughing the entire time. I think my favorite joke was the one about the person peeling off the label of a beer bottle while listening to another explain his or her dreams. I also found her to be amazing because of the violent and difficult childhood she grew up with.

One of my favorite things about Lynda Barry was the fact that everything she said was truly original. For example, the statement about a child’s blankie serving as their first artwork, or that an image is a formless thing that gives us form. These are just two of her ideas that I really liked and agreed with. Oh and her “party trick” in the end was simply fantastic!

2 comments: