Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Back in the Sticks

I would first just like to start out by saying that this has been my favorite project so far in my Digital Processes class. I had a great time going out and taking shots, and I had tons of ideas running through my mind as I was doing so. I decided that my "anti-mainstream" focus would be on photographs that depict where and how I grew up. Back in the Sticks reflects some of the people and ideas that I embrace. Sure, the way of life portrayed in these photographs is not necessarily anti-mainstream to our country or the world, but I was focusing specifically on what is anti-mainstream to the typical Lawrentian. For instance, you very rarely see a Lawrence student walking around in scuffed up boots, a flannel shirt, and a camo hat. I think I can count on one hand the number of those students we have, here at Lawrence.

Moving on... all of these photographs were taken within the past year. Most of them were taken this past summer (2012), but the the last 8 photos of the book are the newest ones that I took for this project specifically. The photos are taken in various locations throughout Wisconsin such as my house, my cabin, Winchester, Readfield, and Rhinelander. The subjects of the photos are my friends and some of my family members. I should also mention that most of the captions for these photographs are lyrics from certain country songs.

The quality of these images is not the best, for I did not use the Sony camera that we were issued in class. The shots I took for this project were all captured by an 8 megapixel Canon. Below is the link to my Flickr account, where I have made available the 32 photographs in a "set."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92591427@N08/sets/72157632609044623/

Additionally, here is a link to my snapfish book, where you can view the (almost) finished project. Now all I have to do is wait for me book to ship, so I can see how it turns out!

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l=en_US/p/products/FlexApp/ordertype=PMB/orderId=13762904025/orderstatus=OLD/ownerid=14081302025/leadingolioid=174608220025/productType=photobook/s_c=0/s_se=FDR/s_pt=PMB


2 comments:

  1. I love this. So much. I grew up in a really small Midwestern town, and I know exactly what you mean by how this sort of environment is its own deviation from the main stream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber i am really impressed by this shoot! I think you really capture the essence of what it is like to be part of the actual culture of wisconsin! (Yes to mud wrestling )

    ReplyDelete